Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Travis "No Country for Old Men" Hafner

Beginning sometime during the playoffs last year, people starting noticing a resemblence between Travis Hafner and Javier Bardem's homicidal maniac psycho killer character from "No Country for Old Men". I thought it was a funny observation, but by no means were they dead ringers for each other. The scary thing about this is that Hafner has totally embraced this role, and in a March 13th article on ESPN.com, it tells a story of Hafner and David Delucci (Hafner's best friend on the team....what?) going to see the movie together. An excerpt can be seen below the pics:







"...if you happen to see him at a screening of "No Country for Old Men." Hafner looks just like Javier Bardem, who won an Oscar for playing a cold, calculated killer. Hafner's monotone voice is nearly identical to Bardem's, minus the Spanish accent. His large, muscular physique is also akin to Bardem's, and their faces are eerily similar.
Dellucci went to see the movie with Hafner, and says Hafner was so excited he made Dellucci miss the first 10 minutes to get the popcorn. When Dellucci got into the theater, Hafner was on the edge of his seat, transfixed by watching himself.
"What'd I miss?" Dellucci asked.
"Oh, I just got out of some handcuffs and killed a guy," Hafner responded.
Hearing Hafner speak in the first person almost made Dellucci run.
"He may be the only guy in the world who was pulling for the psychopath killer," Dellucci says. "I don't know if he was able to judge the difference between that character and himself."
Dellucci's mission is to get a bowl-cut wig and have Hafner wear it on road trips. Ask Hafner about this, and he plays it down, typical for a man who wants people to know little about him."
I don't know if I should be ecstatic about the ridiculousness of this, or terrified for my life whenever he steps to the plate. I know if I were a pitcher this would always be in the back of my mind. Hopefully he becomes a stone cold killer (wrestling pun intended) to opposing pitchers for the duration of 2008.
By the way, how hilarious would that be if he wore that wig on the road?

1 comment:

Brakey Consulting said...

I want to get me one of those balloon tank hole puncher whatcha-ma-jiggies.