Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Bill Simmons' AL predictions

I am a huge fan of Bill Simmons, a writer for ESPN.com. He has a different style than most sports writers, and I guess you could say his columns are pretty much the model for this blog. He is also a huge Boston sports homer...so it really surprised me when I read this in his latest reader mailbag:



"So that's my prediction for the American League: We're in for a summer of football scores and eye-popping offensive numbers along the lines of what happened in '77, '87, '93 and the prime of the steroid era. While we're here, I'll go with Manny for MVP (Abreu second, Cabrera third); Justin Verlander for Cy Young (Sabathia second, Felix third); Oakland's Carlos Gonzalez for Rookie of the Year (Evan Longoria second, Asdrubal Cabrera third); Boston, Cleveland, Seattle and New York (wild card) in the playoffs and Cleveland over Boston in the ALCS, with the Indians trouncing the D-Backs in another World Series sweep. And no, that wasn't a reverse jinx. As far as you know."



That really surprised me to see him pick the Indians to sweep the D-Backs in the World Series. I hope all of this national attention doesn't affect them from playing hard every game (kind of like 2006).

No comments: