Thursday, April 3, 2008

Indians 7, White Sox 2

Some quick thoughts from last night's game:
  • Grady Sizemore now has the major league's longest consecutive games streak, at 360 games. I know that he doesn't think he's going to break Cal Ripken's streak, but don't you think it's a little disheartening to look at the number 2,632? Well if he doesn't get there, he'll always have something Cal didn't: Grady's Ladies. Although maybe at this point in his life, Ripken could try to start a lady-fan group called Cal's Cougars or something.
  • Franklin Gutierrez is becoming a really patient hitter. My buddy Craig called him "Manny Jr." on Opening Day. Hopefully he doesn't start peeing inside the outfield wall, wearing mp3 sunglasses, hilariously cutting off relay throws in left field, or start a home run trot after meaningless home runs. That said, I would gladly put up with all of that if he starting playing like Manny Ramirez.
  • Masa Kobayashi had a shaky debut, but we'll blame that on nerves. I'm blatantly stealing this joke from my friend Tom, but he looks like a poorly constructed "create-a-player" from a baseball video game.
  • I love what we're seeing from Rafael Perez. It's nice to have a dominant lefty towards the back of your bullpen.
  • Now I know people say April baseball is pretty much meaningless, and you can't win any divisions this early in the season. However, you can lose them. If I were Tigers fans, I would be just a tiny bit nervous. Losing the first two games of the season AT HOME to the Royals is unacceptable. And on top of that to be shutout, that's gotta hurt.
  • Lastly, attendance last night was 17,645.

I want to clarify on a post from yesterday. I don't expect the Indians to sell out every game, with things the way they are now, it's pretty much impossible. I just ask the fans to pay close attention all year, this is the best Cleveland sports team we've had in a long time, and you'll regret it if you miss it.

No comments: