Thursday, April 10, 2008

Mark Shapiro--Superstar GM

The Indians are very lucky to have Mark Shapiro. Not only does he put a playoff contender on the field on a shoestring budget, but he does an amazing job of locking up our young talent.


Do you know how hard it would be for a 23-24 year old to turn down millions of dollars? People my age aren't patient at all. If I was a rising star, and I was making $250,000 per year, and someone came to me and said they'd throw out my deal and pay me $4 million per year for 6 years, I'd take it in a second, even though I know that if I would just wait 3 years I could probably make at least double that.


Bottom line: Mark Shapiro knows this. He knows people in their twenties want instant satisfaction, and he gets them to sign these long term, affordable deals and avoids potentially losing them to free agency in the near future.


Bill Simmons is right. He does look like a cross between Jeff Garcia and Boggs from "The Shawshank Redemption"


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

he is the man and needs a world series win to show the world you dont need tons of cash, you just have to be great at what you do. even though 60mil sounds like a ton of money to young me. but not for a baseball team. man he could sign me easy